Recently I did some research on to what makes each search engine tick. What I found was of course that they are very similar as to what they look for in a website, but one of the biggest things I found out was the site’s age plays a giant role in your search rankings.
This is true for Google especially, it is almost impossible to get a decent ranking by Google if your website is fairly new (under 18 months). Yahoo and MSN seem to put a bit different emphasis on this and in as little as 6 months you can get a good ranking with them if you build your website correctly.
The basic things I recommend to get your search ranking up are below (and in order from the most important).
2. Use your keywords in your title tags of your website
3. Use your keywords on the text of your website frequently and put them in the appropriate paragraph and heading tags.
4. Get links from other websites that have high PR rankings. Just a link isn’t great, but a link that contains your keywords. (for example if your website is example.com that sells widgets, try to get a link that goes to example.com when they click on the word “widget”)
5. Use meta tags and descriptions. They say they aren’t that used anymore, but I think it could be the difference between a good rating and a great rating. Try to be as detailed as possible to each page and not use the same description on every page.
6. Use title/Alt tags on images and link on your own website.
That about covers it, there is not amazing technology that you need to know – but people frequently don’t do the basics so if you do it will be noticed.